About The Undines
We are an all-volunteer fire company, organized under the Bellefonte Fire Department which consists of the Logan Fire Company #1 and Undine Fire Company #2. We proudly serve the Borough of Bellefonte and portions of Benner, Marion and Spring Townships-- also providing mutual aid to communities throughout Centre County.
August - December 1871
Undine Hose was organized in August 1871, and obtained its charter on December 9th, 1871. Daniel Hastings (future Pennsylvania Governor) was the original president. John G. Love (later a distinguished judge) was its first secretary.
The company immediately arranged to build their ‘hose house’ at the corner of Perry Alley and Bishop Street , and bought their hose carriage from Neptune Hose Company of Philadelphia . They also purchased a hand engine from Parson & Son, Lock Haven, supplied with six hundred feet of hose.
The great rivalry
1875 - 1885
In 1875, the company was reorganized and remained in existence until 1885. The terrible fire that winter destroyed their quarters on Bishop Street and the company again practically disbanded.
By 1885, the Borough agreed to take over the maintenance of the department and both companies were placed under direct control of the council. The Undine Co. building, with its engine and carriage, were sold, and the location of the company moved to East Logan Street . New engines and other supplies were purchased at this time.
Fires and Rebuilding
This continued again until December 1891, when a new company was formed. In the 1890’s the purchased and paid for a large Clappe and Jones steam engine.
A distinguishing feature of the Undine Hose Co. was their band which was organized in October 1894. All the musicians were firemen and they wore the regulation company uniform, the instruments were silver and ‘of the best and latest design, and their renditions are of a high order.’
The company’s 1895 equipment consisted of engine, hose carriage, hose cart, supply of hose, gum coats and boots.
Near the end of the nineteenth century, so many disastrous fires had occurred in town that the council again organized the department, creating one ahead and placing both companies under its management at fires. In 1898 the Undine Co. purchased a lot and built a new building on Bishop Street (present location). The borough assisted the Undine Co. in its acquirement of a more modern engine.
The ‘Motor Age’